The Summer Food Service Program is a national program of the USDA that provides FREE meals to kids during the summer months with help from local partners. Our local Summer Food Program is at the Mack Park Concessions Stand Monday through Friday from 11-12, now through August 18th.
This week, we continue to see more and more variety in produce as we move through the summer and toward the peak of growing season. Painter Ashley Bouton joins us in the Artisan Tent with a creative process she describes as "very expressive, action-oriented, and intuitive." Our Community Tent will feature information from SeniorLife Indiana about their wide array of senior support services.
We also welcome two new vendors this week - Wilds Market and the Spades. We look forward to having them as a part of our growing market!
And now to a slightly different (but very exciting) product of the week:
- 76 million Americans eat beef every day. More beef is consumed on Memorial Day than any other day of the year. The Fourth of July and Labor Day typically tie for second place (www.farmflavor.com)
- Beef is the number one source of protein, vitamin B12, and zinc. Beef is also the number 3 source of iron behind fortified cereal and grains (ww.alloy.com)
- Zinc is an important trace mineral needed for proper functioning of the immune system and for our senses of smell and taste (medlineplus.gov)
- The protein in beef is a complete, high-quality protein that supplies all of the essential amino acids the body needs to build, maintain, and repair body tissue (fillyourplate.org)
- The hamburger made its international debut at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904. Ground beef accounts for 40-45% of all beef sold today (www.alloy.com)
- The top five most-liked flavors consumers enjoy with beef are onion, garlic, herbs, Worcestershire sauce, and lemon/citrus juice (www.alloy.com)
- Today's beef is leaner than ever, and 67% of cuts sold in grocery stores are considered lean. Find more surprising facts about lean beef and another recipe here.
...which leads us to...our Recipe of the Week
This Grilled Steak Salad is so delicious! It is a favorite in our house, and you can add in any market-fresh veggies you like. The recipe calls for lettuce, spinach, radishes, sweet onion, cucumber, and tomato, along with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette. Darlene from Mahoning Creek Farm recommends sirloin or chuck eye. Chip steak is another good option if you aren't cooking on the grill. Enjoy!
We are still scheduling for our special tents through the end of September. If you are an artist, musician, or are involved with a community organization or kids' group, e-mail us at email@example.com if you'd like to participate!
Want our weekly blog posts sent straight to your inbox? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our mailing list.
See you at the market!
SeniorLIFE Indiana offers a wide array of support services to help seniors with personal, physical, and social needs - to maintain health, stimulate interest, and increase socialization. Available homecare services make it possible for seniors to stay in their home, maintaining both quality of life and their independence. SeniorLIFE is a Medicare Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) operating as a LIFE (Living Independently for the Elderly) program in the state of Pennsylvania.