by Renee Shepherd & Fran Raboff
- 4 medium zucchini, very coarsely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 pound orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, Asiago or hard Monterey jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sprinkle zucchini with salt in a colander and toss. Let stand 20 minutes, stirring once or twice. Squeeze zucchini dry. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Blend basil, oil, garlic, and oregano together well in food processor or blender. Add to zucchini; reserve.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a large pot. Add orzo and reduce heat, cooking until orzo is just tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain well.
- Stir the pasta into the zucchini. Add the lemon juice, grated cheese, and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled.